John Lee, Assassination Investigator
08-16-2021, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2021 01:31 PM by larmarhar8.)
John Lee, Assassination Investigator
Hi, all! New to this site, but certainly not to the topic of Lincoln's Assassination.

In researching for information I hope to use in upcoming books, I became fascinated by the story of John Lee, Provost Marshal Detective that collected evidence from George Atzerodt's room at the Kirkwood House the night of the assassination.

Apparently he rode with the infamous Lafayette Curry Baker in Baker's Cavalry before joining the Provost Marshal's Department and later served as a Justice of the Peace, then as a Reconstruction Registrar in Mississippi.

I was disheartened to find, after securing his pension file from the National Archives, that he died without issue and in an unmarked grave in Oak Hill Cemetery in Washington. I took it on myself to file an application to the VA, requesting an appropriate marker be provided. We'll see how long that takes.

But, I digress. The purpose of this post is to solicit any assistance in locating a picture of Mr. Lee. Despite tearing up the Internet, I have come up empty on this score. So, does anyone out there know if such a picture exists?

Appreciate any input!

L. E. Harris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
John Lee, Assassination Investigator - larmarhar8 - 08-16-2021 01:30 PM