In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
12-19-2020, 02:21 PM
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
That's a fair question David.

However, you are under the assumption that I agree with what the board is doing. As I have stated on several occasions, I don't. I think it is historically illiterate and short-sighted on the part of the board.

But I don't live in San Francisco. It isn't my right, or even my duty, to tell members of the school board or the community that what they are doing is wrong, unless the board or members of the community asked for my opinion. Of course, as an American I'm free to give my opinion on forums or even as an article written to persuade, but my opinion will have no more weight than the next persons. Even though I don't agree with the proposed action, the community, through its elected representatives, has the final say. As I have repeatedly said if the board is wrong, they will pay for it in the next election.

My argument remains that if statues in Virginia can be toppled and schools renamed because of anti-Confederate sentiment, because that is what the local community wants, one has to accept that it can also be done for people that many admire, if the community so chooses.

I will give you some unsolicited advice which you can either accept or reject. When you run for the board you need to be aware of the type of language that you use. It's one thing to tell someone they are wrong. It's quite another, and insulting, to accuse someone of doing something malicious just because you disagree with it, unless you have evidence to the contrary. If you want to garner enough support to be elected, you need to explain to the public how and why you are running and what you can accomplish and what needs to be accomplished. Having studied and covered politics for half of my life, I can guarantee if you use the same language out there that you have here, you will go down to defeat, and soundly. One issue candidates rarely get enough support to be successful.

I also want to add that even though I don't think the renaming makes much sense at this point--a point that Mayor Breed forcefully made--I understand why it is being done. Conservatives can thumb their nose at the idea of white privilege and oppression, but the fact remains that a large number of people accept both concepts as reality, and that number continues to grow.

A person is free to reject that, but they do so at their own peril.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - Rob Wick - 12-19-2020 02:21 PM