Lincoln's homeowner's insurance on the Springfield home
07-10-2012, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 01:47 PM by Joe Di Cola.)
RE: Lincoln's homeowner's insurance on the Springfield home
Roger,

In the 1950s the Hartford Insurance Company ran an ad in Life Magazine that read: "For the only home he ever owned, Lincoln chose this Hartford policy," with a drawing of Lincoln holding the policy. They offered a facsimile copy of the policy on heavy card stock if one contacted the Hartford. I still have that facsimile copy, so your trivia question brought back fond memories. Thanks. The Hartford ran a few other ads during the 50s featuring Lincoln, for which one cold contact the Hartford for a copy sent to you in a mailing tube with a screw cap. I still have those, mailing tubes and all.

(07-10-2012 07:59 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I guessed $20, but I looked it up and for 1861, I was low.
Being in insurance, I can tell you, his premium is probably going to go up this year.
(They discontinued the carriage - home discount)

Gene,

I am not sure where my previous messages to you ended up--somewhere in Outer Finairstis!, so I am trying again in a more conventional way.
I will be going to the cemeteries this Friday and will get back to you on that at a later date since I will be gone for a while.
I took the insurance information from a facsimile copy I got from the Hartford Co. sometime in the 1950s. It seems that Lincoln insured his home in February 1861 in preparation for its protection during the time it was being rented.
Joe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's homeowner's insurance on the Springfield home - Joe Di Cola - 07-10-2012 01:10 PM