Frederick Douglass delivered Lincoln reality check at Emancipation Memorial
06-29-2020, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 10:35 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Frederick Douglass delivered Lincoln reality check at Emancipation Memorial
(06-28-2020 07:31 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  
(06-28-2020 12:30 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  In my opinion, on an overall basis, there is more positive in the speech than negative. This is especially true in the second half of the speech. David, I think the article you cited concentrates too much on the negative and generally ignores all the positive and praiseworthy things Douglass had to say about Abraham Lincoln.

The following is the second half of the Frederick Douglass speech on April 14, 1876 to which Roger makes reference. I agree with what Roger has said and I am also of the opinion that the following should have been Douglass's entire speech that day.

Fellow-citizens, there is little necessity on this occasion to speak at length and critically of this great and good man, and of his high mission in the world. That ground has been fully occupied and completely covered both here and elsewhere. The whole field of fact and fancy has been gleaned and garnered. Any man can say things that are true of Abraham Lincoln, but no man can say anything that is new of Abraham Lincoln. His personal traits and public acts are better known to the American people than are those of any other man of his age. He was a mystery to no man who saw him and heard him. Though high in position, the humblest could approach him and feel at home in his presence. Though deep, he was transparent; though strong, he was gentle; though decided and pronounced in his convictions, he was tolerant towards those who differed from him, and patient under reproaches. Even those who only knew him through his public utterance obtained a tolerably clear idea of his character and personality. The image of the man went out with his words, and those who read them knew him.

"The whole field of fact and fancy has been gleaned and garnered. Any man can say things that are true of Abraham Lincoln, but no man can say anything that is new of Abraham Lincoln." -- Frederick Douglass, April 14, 1876.

So, who is going to win the upcoming contest between Frederick Douglass and Nikole Hannah-Jones, in terms of "fact and fancy," regarding the character and reputation of President Abraham Lincoln?

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frederick Douglass delivered Lincoln reality check at Emancipation Memorial - David Lockmiller - 06-29-2020 10:00 AM