1860: Lincoln Visits Five Points.
12-13-2019, 06:50 PM
RE: 1860: Lincoln Visits Five Points.
Here is the account in Francis B. Carpenter's Six Months at the White House:

When Mr. Lincoln visited New York in 1860, he felt a great interest in many of the institutions for reforming criminals and saving the young from a life of crime. Among others, he visited, unattended, the Five Points' House of Industry, and the Superintendent of the Sabbath-school there gave the following account of the event:

"One Sunday morning, I saw a tall, remarkable-looking man entered the room and took a seat among us. He listened with fixed attention to our exercises, and his countenance expressed such genuine interest that I approached him and suggested that he might be willing to say something to the children. He accepted the invitation with evident pleasure; and, coming forward, began a simple address, which at once fascinated every little hearer and hushed the room into silence. His language was strikingly beautiful, and his tones musical with intense feeling. The little faces would droop into sad conviction as he uttered sentences of warning, and would brighten into sunshine as he spoke cheerful words of promise. Once or twice he attempted to close his remarks, but the imperative shout of 'Go on! Oh, do go on!' would compel him to resume. As I looked upon the gaunt and sinewy frame of the stranger, and marked his powerful head and determined features, now touched into softness by the impressions of the moment, I felt an irrepressible curiosity to learn something more about him, and while he was quietly leaving the room I begged to know his name. He courteously replied, "It is Abraham Lincoln, from Illinois.' Mr. Nelson Sizer, one of the gallery ushers of Henry Ward Beecher's church in Brooklyn, told me that about the time of the Cooper Institute speech, Mr, Lincoln was twice present at the morning services of that church."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1860: Lincoln Visits Five Points. - RJNorton - 12-13-2019 06:50 PM