Mary Todd Lincoln by Jean Baker
09-26-2019, 10:36 AM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln by Jean Baker
(09-26-2019 09:52 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  While Jean Baker's book will stand for a long time as the standard on Mary's life, I have to say I lost a great deal of respect for her when she endorsed C.A. Tripp's book on Lincoln's sexuality.

Best
Rob

I developed my understanding and appreciation of Mary Lincoln after reading Baker's book many long years ago. We also had her as a speaker at a Surratt Society banquet back in the late-80s or early-90s. Her style sort of "demanded" that you pay attention to her and understand what made Mary tick. It also helped that she shares much of the same opinions of Robert as I -- just can't get warm and fuzzy feelings about him, despite being friends with Jason...

Until Gene pointed it out, I had forgotten about the reference to Mary Harlan Lincoln having a drinking problem. I don't ever remember reading that anywhere else; did I miss it in Giant in the Shadows? I've always wanted to see something in depth about Mary Harlan, mainly because I suspect she was one of the problems that contributed to how Robert handled his mother's situation.

Rob - I agree that Mrs. Baker should never have gotten involved in the Lincoln's sexuality debate. Of course, I think Tripp's work should never have been published...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mary Todd Lincoln by Jean Baker - Gene C - 09-25-2019, 08:56 PM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln by Jean Baker - L Verge - 09-26-2019 10:36 AM