Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
09-26-2017, 03:41 PM
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
(09-25-2017 12:43 PM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote:Help me out here. I know I read that Powell's coat was found in the northeast area near Bladensburg, MD. I understand the fall from the horse which makes sense with his injuries (unless Stanton had something to do with that), but I was unaware of his being knocked out. What is the attribution for that? I do believe he was trying to find his way to Baltimore where he had friends and acquaintances and could make good his escape through that city.

Dennis -

All indications appear to show that Powell was indeed thrown from his one-eyed horse and thrown hard. The Daily National Republican for May 22, 1865 claims that it was reported by Powell that "his horse fell and pitched him headlong in the road. When he had recovered his senses, he crept from the road...."

Lieutenant John Toffey, who found Powell's horse, claimed that the animal was lame and had a cut and bruised shoulder as if he had fallen hard. Daily National Republican May 18, 1865.

Powell also apparently stated that "...his horse stumbled and partly fell upon him and he then abandoned him and took to the fields." Daily National Republican - May 23, 1865 "Sketch of Payne"

Colonel John A. Foster stated that on the night of April 14, 1865, near Fort Bunker Hill, a horseman was heard galloping past, apparently attempting to jump from an embankment across a high ditch down onto the road below. Shortly thereafter, there was heard the sounds of a man moaning or groaning loudly as if in distress. Several pickets at the fort attempted to check on the source of the sounds when they ceased; they then gave up the quest. When the groaning sounds had faded, the horse was heard running off in another direction. The Evidence; Edwards and Steers, pp. 532-536
Betty, I was unaware of the three newspaper quotes and will be looking for the complete articles. Thanks. I have the Inside the Walls booklets and was familiar with the Powell injury pics. I have previously read the Col. Foster report as well. Thanks for the research. This is why I love this site.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different." - Dennis Urban - 09-26-2017 03:41 PM