When Slaveowners Got Reparations
04-17-2019, 11:58 AM
The NYTimes published today (April 17, 2019) an opinion critical of President Lincoln and advocating that reparations be paid to black people.

Lincoln signed a bill in 1862 that paid up to $300 for every enslaved person freed.
By Tera W. Hunter

Dr. Hunter, a Princeton professor of American history and African-American studies, specializes in the 19th and 20th centuries
The opinion ended with the following statement:

“All of the candidates running for president must support the federal government’s issuing of reparations to African-Americans who were economically affected by slavery. Justice requires this.”

One of the two comments that I submitted in response to the opinion was posted by the NYTimes:

David Lockmiller
San Francisco 3h ago

According to Francis Carpenter, in his book Six Months at the White House, President Lincoln made the following constitutional argument on April 7, 1864 to Mr. George Thompson and party:

"[B]efore I could have any power whatever, I had to take the oath to support the Constitution of the United States, and execute the laws as I found them. When the Rebellion broke out, my duty did not admit of a question. That was, first, by all strictly lawful means to endeavor to maintain the integrity of the government. I did not consider that I had a right to touch the 'State' institution of 'Slavery' until all other measures for restoring the Union had failed. The paramount idea of the constitution is the preservation of the Union. It may not be specified in so many words, but that this was the idea of its founders is evident; for, without the Union, the constitution would be worthless. It seems clear, then, that in the last extremity, if any local institution threatened the existence of the Union, the Executive could not hesitate as to his duty. In our case, the moment came when I felt that slavery must die that the nation might live!"

3 Recommend

The comment that I submitted and not posted questioned how much should be paid in reparations to American Indians for all of their ancestors murdered and lands confiscated in accordance with this nation’s Manifest Destiny. It was not surprising that this comment was not accepted for publication by the NYTimes.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
When Slaveowners Got Reparations - David Lockmiller - 04-17-2019 11:58 AM