Something to Ponder and Debate?
03-16-2019, 09:33 AM
RE: Something to Ponder and Debate?
(03-16-2019 02:25 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  I'd agree that Antietam gave the impetus for the Proclamation, but that was always going to be made sooner or later. Gettysburg caused such enormous losses to the South that it marked the end.
But I'd highlight Chancellorsville where Stonewall Jackson died as a result of wounds.
Its difficult to assess any Commanding Officer in wartime. There are always so many factors, especially 'luck', influencing the result of a battle. It seems that during some of Jackson's battles he made mistakes ... but then show me a General who was perfect (Washington? No. Grant? No. Lee? No).
At the time of Antietam the Union was on the ropes. The stunning loss at Chancellorsville, the possibility of European recognition and/or active involvement, the poor morale, the confusion of Army leadership and political sniping by the Democrats and Radicals was at it's peak. A loss would have probably have taken the State of Maryland out of the Union so the victory was a real momentum changer.

A General is only as good as his intelligence sources. It should be noted that Lee lost the two main battles he fought in Northern territory due to crucial intelligence breakdowns. It's doubtful that the 'lost order' would have found its way to McClellan had Lee not been in Northern territory, nor would Stuart have been out of touch with Lee had Gettysburg been fought in Virginia.

Taking the battle to the enemy was a 'bridge too far' for the South and led them to the path of ultimate defeat.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Something to Ponder and Debate? - L Verge - 03-15-2019, 08:51 PM
RE: Something to Ponder and Debate? - JMadonna - 03-16-2019 09:33 AM