Barefoot Lincoln
01-25-2019, 01:32 PM
RE: Barefoot Lincoln
(01-25-2019 06:08 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I guess there may have been some "rumors" about Vinnie and General William Tecumseh Sherman during the 1870s.

"On Valentine's Day, 1873 Sherman viewed all of the Farragut models and met Vinnie when she invited him to her studio. Days later he wrote “the plaster model of Vinnie Ream struck me decidedly as the best likeness and recalled the memory of the Admiral's face and figure more perfectly than any other model.” Thus began a four year relationship between Vinnie and Sherman. Their letters were extremely flirtatious and often suggestive. He told Vinnie to write him freely and often because "I destroy your letters. You must do the same of mine for in the wrong hands suspicion would not stop short of wrong--which we must not even think of." However, Vinnie did not dispose of his letters. Sherman had more on his mind than the statue. He offered to take Vinnie for a carriage ride so they could have "the back seat to ourselves." On another occasion he took her handkerchief mistakenly but used it as an excuse to see her. He told her how bored he was at his office and wanted to come to her studio so she could sing to him. In another letter Sherman wrote,"I often think of your studio and my precious moments there and wonder if you miss me and who now has the privilege of toying with your long tresses and comforting your imaginary distresses."

http://civilwarroundtablepalmbeach.org/n...v28n9.html

Very interesting. Also enjoyed the lengthy bio on the link.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Barefoot Lincoln - L Verge - 01-24-2019, 07:47 PM
RE: Barefoot Lincoln - RJNorton - 01-25-2019, 06:08 AM
RE: Barefoot Lincoln - L Verge - 01-25-2019 01:32 PM