Uncivill Warriors The Lawyer's Civil War
12-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Uncivill Warriors The Lawyer's Civil War
One of the books I got for Christmas this year (in addition to a short study of Reconstruction by Allen C. Guelzo) was a book that I imagine would have little broad interest, but is still a fascinating topic, at least to me. It is called Uncivil Warriors: The Lawyer's Civil War by Peter Charles Hoffer. Just looking through the table of contents is what sold it for me. I've always been interested in the question of the legality of secession, and Hoffer actually devotes two chapters to the topic. I haven't read anything on this topic since I read James G. Randall's Constitutional Problems Under Lincoln. As I haven't read Hoffer's book yet, I obviously have no idea what approach he takes, but I'm sure I'll find it interesting. Given that Lincoln was first and foremost an attorney, I'm hoping this will be a good read next year (it will have to take a backseat to the seven or eight other books ahead of it that I want to read).

Anyone else get any Lincoln-related books this season?

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Uncivill Warriors The Lawyer's Civil War - Rob Wick - 12-25-2018 11:40 AM
Balance - DannyW - 12-26-2018, 04:57 AM
RE: Balance - AussieMick - 12-26-2018, 06:01 AM