Soldier dies while trying to vote during Civil War
11-19-2018, 06:38 PM
RE: Soldier dies while trying to vote during Civil War
(11-19-2018 01:50 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  There is no sustainable counter argument. Roger's post is not a counter argument, but rather an observation

David, I agree with what you said ("an observation"), but I shall try to give what I consider to be a valid counter argument in favor of keeping the Electoral College. Looking at the 2016 election --> Leaving California out, Donald Trump won the other 49 states by a margin of 1.4 million votes. He lost the national popular vote by 2.8 million votes because of the huge winning margin Hillary Clinton accumulated in California. Hillary Clinton would have won the election if we simply used the popular vote as the determining factor. Would it have been fair to the nation as a whole to give that much power to one state (California)? The rest of the nation, taken as a whole, preferred Trump. (Trump won 30 states; Clinton won 20)

IMO, this scenario is one of the election outcomes the framers of the Constitution were trying to prevent when the electoral system was written into the Constitution during that hot summer in Philadelphia in 1787. They didn't want a huge state (population-wise) to have too much power over the other states.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Soldier dies while trying to vote during Civil War - RJNorton - 11-19-2018 06:38 PM