Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump
08-13-2018, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2018 01:54 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump
(08-13-2018 03:29 AM)My Name Is Kate Wrote:  Wow. I sure have been put in my place. I can't begin to answer any of your questions, or even follow any of your logic. I concede total and utter defeat.

That's easier than I thought it was going to be.

I was waiting to post the following personally-perceived "dissimilarity" between Lincoln and Trump:

The petition of the women employees of the Philadelphia arsenal set forth:

“At the breaking out of the rebellion that is now deluging our land with blood, and which for a time threatened the destruction of the Nation, the prices paid at the U.S. Arsenal in this city were barely sufficient to enable the women engaged upon Government work to earn a scanty respectable subsistence. Since the period referred to, board, provision, and all other articles of female consumption have advanced to such an extent as to make an average of at least seventy-five per cent, while women’s labor has been reduced thirty per cent.”

President Abraham Lincoln referred the matter to Secretary Stanton with the following comment:

"I know not how much is within the legal power of the government in this case; but it is certainly true in equity, that the laboring women in our employment, should be paid at the least as much as they were at the beginning of the war. Will the Secretary of War please have the case fully examined, and so much relief given as can be consistently with the law and the public service."

July 27. 1864
A. LINCOLN

from The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln, Volume 7, pages 466-467

I do not know for certain what President Donald Trump would do in a similar situation. [Trump's ordered treatment of migrant family children might be one good indication.] But I do know what President Abraham Lincoln took the time and thought to do during the American Civil War.

(08-13-2018 07:17 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Reminds me of this:
http://www.shelbyvilledailyunion.com/new...ff1c0.html

Pertinent to this discussion from Eva Elisabeth's referenced article is this:

"Let's just say that the openly, proudly partisan editors of the Lincoln era — Republicans like Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune and Democrats like Manton Marble of the New York World — would not be surprised at all that today's media outlets, like Fox and MSNBC, display the same kind of doctrinaire leanings, except (the networks of the 21st century) don't like to admit it," said Holzer.

"Partisanship was deeply embedded in the American press tradition, from the days of John Adams onward," [Holzer] said.

I am wondering if Fox is one of the "reputable" news sources to which Kate refers.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump - David Lockmiller - 08-13-2018 01:28 PM