Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump
08-12-2018, 11:27 AM
RE: Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump
(08-12-2018 07:30 AM)My Name Is Kate Wrote:  Another NYT article. Still reading the fake news, and believing it, I see.

People are so worried and depressed about losing their jobs at Carrier, that they don't even show up for work. That makes a lot of sense.

There were a large number of quotes in the New York Times article from people who actually work at the Carrier plant. Do you believe that those quotations were fake?

For example:

“People still don’t trust Carrier,” said Paul Roell, a group leader who has worked at the plant for 19 years. “They still have the warehouses and the factory in Mexico, and they can move down whenever. We all know that Carrier has the money to do whatever they want.”

On the worst days, according to one group leader, up to one in five workers are out. It’s true that the company has been running the factory hard — up to 60 hours a week with mandatory overtime, six days in a row — and some absenteeism could be due to sheer exhaustion, Mr. Roell allowed. But “bad blood,” as he put it, is at least as much to blame. “Workers feel like Carrier is going to leave,” he said, “whether we come to work or not.”

Kate, why does not Carrier not hire more workers in your opinion? I believe that there must be a lot of people available in the area for relatively good-paying jobs not requiring a college education. "The company has been running the factory hard — up to 60 hours a week with mandatory overtime, six days in a row."

Mr. Roell, the group leader, is also loyal, despite having to fill in frequently on the line. “I’m going to stay until I don’t have a choice."

Even before the closure announcement, he said, supervisors gathered people from the lines and pointed out, ominously, that their counterparts in Mexico missed fewer days. “I’m worried they will use the absenteeism as an excuse to shut the factory,” Mr. Roell said. “They aren’t doing anything to improve morale.”

The chief executive of United Technologies, Greg Hayes, said the company would invest in the Carrier facility, as it had promised Mr. Trump. But those funds were earmarked for automation, and would ultimately mean fewer jobs in Indianapolis, not more.

Kate, the only thing that I can say is that we both read the same article and drew different conclusions. You call it "fake news" and I call it the truth.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Similarities Between Lincoln and Trump - David Lockmiller - 08-12-2018 11:27 AM