The Importance of Numbers
07-25-2018, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2018 06:59 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: The Importance of Numbers
I made a discovery this evening. All the typing that I did [The source material is from Emanuel Hertz's book "Lincoln Talks" at pages 432-440.] turns out to be an abridgment of what Cornelia A.P. Harvey actually wrote.

For those interested, I highly recommend the original work which may be found here:

A Wisconsin Woman's Picture of President Lincoln

I would especially recommend reading first pages 233 - 236 (ending with the sentence on page 236 which reads: "This was the fate of thousands."). Cornelia A.P. Harvey's narrative of her meeting with President Abraham Lincoln begins on page 241 with the sentence which reads: "This depression in the South because of the utter failure of the government to provide a way by which the enfeebled soldiers might be restored to strength at last suggested the thought of going directly to the head, to the President."

I apologize to those that read my original posts and must read once again much of the same. But the previously omitted sections are well worth the additional effort. And, you must read the last paragraph in order!

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Importance of Numbers - RJNorton - 07-21-2018, 05:01 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - RJNorton - 07-21-2018, 09:01 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - L Verge - 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - LincolnMan - 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - David Lockmiller - 07-25-2018 12:25 AM