The Importance of Numbers
07-24-2018, 02:48 PM
RE: The Importance of Numbers
[The next day], the messenger said: "The President desires you to wait, for the Cabinet will soon adjourn." I waited and waited, and waited, three long hours and more, during which time the President sent out twice, saying the Cabinet would soon adjourn, that I was to wait. He came forward, rubbing his hands, and saying: "My dear madam, I am very sorry to have kept you waiting. We have but this moment adjourned."

I replied: "My waiting is no matter, but you must be very tired, and we will not talk tonight."

He said: "No. Sit down," and placed himself in a chair beside me, and said: "Mrs. Harvey, I only wish to tell you that an order equivalent to granting a hospital in your State has been issued nearly twenty-four hours."

I could not speak, I wept for joy. When I could speak I said: "God bless you. I thank you in the name of thousands who will bless you for the act." Then, remembering how many orders had been issued and countermanded, I said: "Do you mean really and truly, that we are going to have a hospital now?"

With a look full of humanity and benevolence, he said: "I do most certainly hope so." He said he wished me to come and see him in the morning and he would give me a copy of the order.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Importance of Numbers - RJNorton - 07-21-2018, 05:01 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - RJNorton - 07-21-2018, 09:01 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - L Verge - 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - LincolnMan - 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - David Lockmiller - 07-24-2018 02:48 PM