The Importance of Numbers
07-21-2018, 11:13 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers
(07-21-2018 09:01 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-21-2018 07:49 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Do you happen to know the general rules for the naming of battles by both the Union forces and the Confederate forces for the same battles?

David, I do not know. I checked Wikipedia, and here is what it says:

"There is a disparity between the sides in naming some of the battles of the war. The Union forces frequently named battles for bodies of water or other natural features that were prominent on or near the battlefield; Confederates most often used the name of the nearest town or man-made landmark. Because of this, many battles actually have two widely used names. However, not all of the disparities are based on these naming conventions. Many modern accounts of Civil War battles use the names established by the North. However, for some battles, the Southern name has become the standard. The National Park Service occasionally uses the Southern names for their battlefield parks located in the South, such as Manassas and Shiloh. In general, naming conventions were determined by the victor of the battle."

I believe that in the battle that we are talking about, Antietam Creek played a prominent role.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Importance of Numbers - RJNorton - 07-21-2018, 05:01 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - RJNorton - 07-21-2018, 09:01 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - David Lockmiller - 07-21-2018 11:13 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - L Verge - 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM
RE: The Importance of Numbers - LincolnMan - 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM