Today´s view of the conspirators
07-01-2018, 08:26 PM
RE: Today´s view of the conspirators
(07-01-2018 10:52 AM)SofiJan Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I´m new to this forum and would like to thank all of you for the amazing source of information you provide. Being Swedish my English might be a bit flawed at times so if there is any confusion regarding my posts, please let me know and please bear with me.

I spend a lot of time devouring every book I can find on the Civil War and with time I have started to lean towards the Lincoln assassination and the conspirators. While there is a lot of information available about the historical events I am interested in how these are viewed in America today.

Is there a noticeable taboo surrounding the conspirators? I read a post by Dave Taylor on BoothieBarn regarding the debate concerning removal of Confederate memorials. Is there more tension within the country today and if so, what impact does it have on researching, teaching or in other ways being in touch with the assassination as a subject?

I am visiting the USA in July and I hope to see as many historical places and memorials as possible on my "Civil War/Conspiracy Tour".

Sofijan:

Welcome. We are glad to have you.

Is there a noticeable taboo, etc.? It depends on who you talk to. Generally speaking: No; there is a consensus that they were all in some degree guilty, except Spangler. There is not, however, consensus as to their sentences. Remember, too, that many who were involved in the conspiracy were never even tried, much less punished. There were various reasons for this. Booth and his action team were only one part of the underground mosaic.

I do believe there is more tension in the country because of the issue of removal of Confederate statuary and memorials. I'm with Laurie on this one: sometimes it is better to let sleeping dogs lie, or, if not, to at least wake them slowly. I do not, however, believe that the greater tension affects assassination study. The best resource for this study is the Surratt Society's library in Clinton, Maryland, but there are other good resources, including me (jcf@neohio.twcbc.com).

Good luck.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Today´s view of the conspirators - John Fazio - 07-01-2018 08:26 PM