Lincoln and His Cabinet
06-30-2018, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2018 07:16 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Lincoln and His Cabinet
(06-30-2018 03:30 PM)Steve Wrote:  If the book's copyright was renewed, then it won't become public domain for another 8 1/2 years and ineligible to be included on the Internet Archive until then.

Also, $900 for a "new" copy of the book and you still have to pay for shipping?

Thanks Steve, maybe that's what happened on the copyright. They haven't even reprinted the book as far as I can tell.
His book 'Lincoln and the Bible', published in 1949, has a copy in Internet Archives.

Two years ago I was fortunate to find a very good copy with the dust jacket for $5.50
Wish my other purchases did as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does it compare to Team of Rivals?
- It gives a brief biography of the cabinet members not mentioned much in TOR.
Cameron's chapter is 24 pages, Caleb Smith's is 11 pages, Edward Bates gets 23, and Montgomery Blair gets 20.
- At 358 pages compared to TOR's of 750, it's not as detailed and not focused on the election of 1860. Hers has, in addition to the 750 pages of text, over 100 pages of footnotes, in small print.
- I enjoyed Ms Goodwin's writing style a little better. She is a historian, Mr. Macartney was a conservative Presbyterian minister who enjoyed history.
- The subtitle of her book is "the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln".
His book seemed to focus on each individual cabinet member, their strengths and weaknesses, their contribution and service to the Lincoln administration.

This from the front cover of Lincoln and His Cabinet
"This book has great value in a presentation of Lincoln in a new way. It reveals him indirectly by giving an account of each one of the members of his cabinet, and so shows, better than any other book did, the ways in which Lincoln worked. His whole character is illuminated in showing why he selected these cabinet members - a number of whom were hostile to him - and the ways in which he managed them singly and in combination. Apart from the interest of the book in this respect, it is the interest that comes from its very able accounts of highly representative figures of the time in these eight cabinet ministers. There lives are given from the beginning, and one gets a full picture of the American civilization of the day"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln and His Cabinet - Gene C - 06-30-2018, 02:20 PM
RE: Lincoln and His Cabinet - LincolnMan - 06-30-2018, 02:22 PM
RE: Lincoln and His Cabinet - Steve - 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM
RE: Lincoln and His Cabinet - Gene C - 06-30-2018 07:16 PM
RE: Lincoln and His Cabinet - L Verge - 06-30-2018, 08:56 PM
RE: Lincoln and His Cabinet - L Verge - 06-30-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Lincoln and His Cabinet - kerry - 07-02-2018, 09:52 PM