Lincoln Cheers His Sick Boy
02-19-2020, 01:47 PM
RE: Lincoln Cheers His Sick Boy
(05-29-2018 09:52 AM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Gene,

Thanks for posting the link to this wonderful little article. Some nice glimpses into Lincoln’s character and his life at a particularly trying time.

David picked out a quote I too liked and posted above. There was also a story about Tad giving away his socks and shoes that was touching as was this quote (apparently spoken by Tad later on): “If pa had got well, he would have forgiven the man that shot him; he forgave everybody.”

Here is a nice blog post about Maria (Hall) Lucas, the nurse who helped care for Tad and whose recollections serve as the basis for the article.

http://john-banks.blogspot.com/2013/10/r...l-war.html

I would highly recommend following the hyperlink therein (titled "1921 magazine article") to an article about Maria (Hall) Lucas, who was the nurse for Tad after Willie had died of the same disease. The following are two paragraphs from the article.

Tad was a patient, uncomplaining little man in his sickness. The fever was running its course favorably, and his fancies were gratified if possible. He was always content and happy in his father's presence, or watching for his return if absent. The wonder grew how the busy man found so much time to spend with the boy, and how the sad heart brought so much cheer. If the face was care-worn and clouded at the door, Tad did not see it; there was always a smile for him and a cheery word, "How's the boy?"

Late in the evening, he would come, sometimes after midnight, after getting last advices from the front. If Tad were awake, he would give me some of the items from the front. But usually all was quiet for patient and nurse, with promise of rest for both. Yet he insisted in sending me off for sleep and staying himself. "For I can lie down here with the boy," he said.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln Cheers His Sick Boy - Gene C - 05-25-2018, 03:56 PM
RE: Lincoln Cheers His Sick Boy - David Lockmiller - 02-19-2020 01:47 PM
RE: Lincoln Cheers His Sick Boy - Anita - 05-29-2018, 10:10 PM
RE: Lincoln Cheers His Sick Boy - Gene C - 05-30-2018, 05:14 AM