Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
05-22-2018, 01:39 PM
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
(05-22-2018 11:03 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  That would be nice, although I wouldn't hold my breath. I once asked a librarian there what the likelihood would be that the University would digitize them, and he replied it would be very unlikely. The demand just isn't there. However, the library did digitize some thirteen boxes of what it calls "Lincoln Miscellaneous Manuscripts 1587-1924" from Barton's papers. It's possible there could be something in there.

As an aside, one is left to wonder how many documents in this collection were purchased by Barton compared to the number stolen by him. The Lucy Hanks marriage document WAS stolen by Barton. He once told noted Lincoln collector Daniel Fish, who had declined to purchase a copy of a book that Barton filched from a theological seminary library, that if he had any scruples against stealing something from a theological seminary, Fish would never become a serious Lincoln collector.

Here's the link to the U of C collection.

Best
Rob

Thanks for the link. I had never heard about Barton stealing documents before! I wonder what those whom he preached to as a minister would think if they knew.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern? - Steve - 05-22-2018 01:39 PM