Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
04-17-2018, 05:59 AM
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
I found another "vote" for Tinsley although it's located in a piece of historical fiction. In Love is Eternal author Irving Stone writes:

"The following afternoon she (Mary Lincoln) noticed a farm wagon drawn up in front of a small cottage on Fourth Street, in the middle of the block between Adams and Monroe, and a family carrying its personal possessions out of the house. She learned from the woman of the family that the house had been sold, furnished, to Seth Tinsley. Mary went inside; there was a parlor into which one stepped from the street, behind that a kitchen with a small Empire stove; on the other side two bedrooms, the front one furnished with a plain four-poster and a wooden table, the smaller bedroom behind it empty and unpainted.

She walked quickly to Tinsley’s store, which sold raisins and molasses in addition to wallpaper and fancy silks twelve days from Philadelphia. Seth Tinsley was the town’s banker as well as merchant. Mary breathlessly explained her errand.

‘Well, Mrs, Lincoln, I was intending to sell . . . but if it's that important to you ...”

“Oh, Mr. Tinsley, it is. I’ll undertake to improve the place . . . how much would you charge for the rent?”

Tinsley computed figures in his head, said, “Furnished, five dollars a month.”

The hours passed slowly; she was in a fever of expectancy; yet when Abraham returned from Urbana she restrained herself until he had enjoyed a soak in the bathing room. Then she told him in one long breath, the welfare of the child intermingled with praise of the little house, and the fact that it would not be expensive . . .

Abraham took her in his arms and kissed her eager mouth.

“That’s quite an appeal to the jury, lawyer Todd. We’ll move first thing in the morning.”

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern? - RJNorton - 04-17-2018 05:59 AM