Good Brother, Bad Brother
04-03-2018, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2018 01:26 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Good Brother, Bad Brother
Laurie, the book did mention John liked Edwin's first wife, Mary Devlin. Everyone in the family liked her accept for Asia, who refused to come to their wedding or her funeral. No mention of John blaming Edwin.

No mention of venereal disease, perhaps this is because it is a book written with young people in mind.
The book does mention wife #2, Mary McVicker, does blame Edwin for her health problems and turns her parents against him. Mary #2 is described as suffering from depression developing into paranoia and mental illness, which became much worse when her baby died. A few years later, a doctor also had diagnosed her as having tuberculosis which weakened her physically, and also weakened her mind.

Regarding the desire for Lincoln to meet Booth.
This from 'Backstage At The Lincoln Assassination' by Thomas Bogar
"The president, along with Mary, Nicolay and Hay, had first seen him (Booth) perform on November 9, 1863 at Ford's in a dual role: Phidias and Raphael in Charles Selby's Pygmalion-esque The Marble Heart; or The Sculptor's Dream. They thought the production was "rather tame than otherwise". Lincoln admired Booth's performance, applauding it enthusiastically, and sent word through Ford that he wished to meet the actor. But Booth refused..."

I could find a reference to Lincoln and party attending the play in Michael Kauffman's "American Brutus" and Nora Titone's "My Thoughts Be Bloody", but no mention (that I could find) of Lincoln wanting to meet John Wilkes Booth.

Personally, I am a bit skeptical regarding Mordaunt's statement, but it is intriguing. Is there any additional source to support his comment?
If they thought the performance "was rather tame than otherwise", I can't picture Lincoln applauding enthusiastically.

Donna M - no reference to the Booth/Todd connection you mentioned.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Good Brother, Bad Brother - Gene C - 04-02-2018, 07:49 PM
RE: Good Brother, Bad Brother - L Verge - 04-02-2018, 08:22 PM
RE: Good Brother, Bad Brother - RJNorton - 04-03-2018, 05:00 AM