The Confederate Connection???
02-23-2018, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 06:23 PM by John Fazio.)
RE: The Confederate Connection???
(02-23-2018 05:08 PM)SSlater Wrote:  What a surprise! I was able to visit with an old friend. for a few minutes. Thank you.
I have a tidbit to add to the tales told about the last days of the Confederacy. I read a book about 40 years ago, so I can't give the Title, or the Author. I'm asking someone to pitch in.
The book was a life history of Judah Benjamin. In it, the author stated that - in the last days of the Confederacy, Jeff Davis was very ill and could not perform the duties of the President. Therefore he authorized Judah Benjamin to be Acting President.
This is such a critical event, yet I have never seen it mentioned elsewhere. I don't know that it really did occur, or was it presented to protect Davis.
I will find that book. While I hunt, can anyone else add to this? Any items "Plus" or "Minus', are welcome.
This makes it seem that Davis may not have known or participated in any of the Assassination plans.

John:

As for Davis not knowing or participating in the assassination plans, that is most unlikely inasmuch as plans to assassinate were in place as early as the summer of 1864. That fact is established, as I have been eager to point out to the doubters, by the fact that shortly after the Dahlgren-Kilpatrick Raid on Richmond (Late February and early March, 1864) and the meetings that were held in Richmond thereafter to plan an appropriate response, Davis sent James P. Holcombe, Clement C. Clay and Jacob Thompson to Canada with verbal instructions only and drafts for $1 million in gold (worth about $2.2. million in greenbacks). According to the testimony of Godfrey Hyams, at the trial of the conspirators, he was enlisted by Dr. Luke Pryor Blackburn, to carry out a plot to spread pestilence in the North (mostly yellow fever), which plot included sending "infected shirts" to Lincoln as a gift from an anonymous benefactor. Hyams also testified that in addition to meetings with Blackburn, he also met with Holcombe, Clay and Thompson. Conclusion: Davis, who appointed the men, gave them their orders and financed them, MUST have know of the plot, including the attempted assassination of Lincoln. Further, Harney's mission began on or about April 1. Was Davis sick then? I have never heard that he was. And even if he was, can anyone believe that such a mission could have been initiated without his knowledge and approval? And still further, remember Surratt's answer to Ste. Marie's question as to whether or not Davis had anything to do with the assassination, namely: "I am not going to tell you", which, of course, is as good as an affirmative answer.

(02-23-2018 03:40 PM)L Verge Wrote:  "I was only able to play Tidwell's remarks. I gather there were additional remarks made by Hall and Gaddy. If so, is there a way I can access these?"

I have the same problem with the one that was sent to me, John. I was hoping that it was just a problem on my end. Hopefully, some of our technical gurus here can help us out -- just to hear Mr. Hall speak in his casual and witty way (what he used to apologize for being "Ozarkian") and still give a great history lesson is worth the time. He would have been in his mid-80s when this was done, I believe.

Laurie:

Thank you.

John

(02-23-2018 04:33 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 01:00 PM)John Fazio Wrote:  Thank you very much for this material. Unfortunately, I was only able to play Tidwell's remarks. I gather there were additional remarks made by Hall and Gaddy. If so, is there a way I can access these?

Go here:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?109752-1/p...assination

Once the video starts move the "time slider" to roughly 52 minutes for James O. Hall and roughly 1 hour 14 minutes for David Gaddy. If those times are a little off, move the "time slider" slightly back or slightly forward to get to the very beginning of their talks.

Roger:

Thank you.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Confederate Connection??? - L Verge - 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection??? - John Fazio - 02-23-2018 06:21 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection??? - kerry - 02-23-2018, 09:12 PM