Lincoln and Medicine
12-29-2017, 03:38 PM
RE: Lincoln and Medicine
(12-28-2017 12:14 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Susan, after your thoughts on this book, I thought about a person/place that could probably really use a copy. Unfortunately, I just can’t be sure sending it would have the desired effect.

Some time back, I visited a small community museum (no, I won’t reveal where it was) that had some connection to Lincoln. I was looking at a Lincoln related museum exhibit and got into a conversation with a museum attendant. We talked a little about Lincoln. He had some of his facts wrong and I attempted to gently correct him but it was to no avail. Oh well. But then he told me that Lincoln was considered a giant during his time because he was so tall. He also then “educated” me on the fact that Lincoln had a disease and that is why he was so tall. The disease made him keep growing and growing and growing and if he hadn’t been killed, he probably would have been 8 or 9 feet tall. You can probably imagine the awkward pause from me after that. After my previous failed attempt to re-direct him on the other little factual errors, I didn’t even bother with this whopper. I just nodded my head and said “wow.”

As for me, I think this book sounds interesting. I will give it a look. Blaine, if you are out there have you read this book and do you have any thoughts on it?

Lincoln and Medicine--for a slim medical book of 89 pages--is a highly informative reference source, considering it has additional notes (93 pages), bibliography (111), and index (121). Author Glenna Schroeder-Lein doesn't hedge discussing possible diagnoses, treatment, and admits there can be debate regarding medical anomalies and occult pathology. Plus it's cheap book.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln and Medicine - Susan Higginbotham - 12-27-2017, 12:05 PM
RE: Lincoln and Medicine - STS Lincolnite - 12-28-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: Lincoln and Medicine - Houmes - 12-29-2017 03:38 PM
RE: Lincoln and Medicine - Eva Elisabeth - 12-28-2017, 01:19 PM
RE: Lincoln and Medicine - Gene C - 12-28-2017, 03:27 PM
RE: Lincoln and Medicine - Eva Elisabeth - 12-28-2017, 03:40 PM
RE: Lincoln and Medicine - RJNorton - 12-28-2017, 03:58 PM