Some Strange activities associated with Elmira.
08-21-2017, 01:11 AM
Some Strange activities associated with Elmira.
The assignment of Surratt to go to Elmira has made me wonder just exactly what was going on. There seems to be a lot of loose ends, to this escapade, that need some explanation. Let's give it s go.

The first mention, that I have ever seen, that got my interest was this letter written by General R. E. Lee. to President Davis, in Oct 1864. (It is one of the letters included in the "Cameron Papers". It is in someone's handwriting, and very difficult to read. Here goes.

Chaffins 25 Oct 1864.
Mr. President
Mr. Stringfellow has just handed me your note enclosing one from Mr. Stewart. (This is Mr Kensey Johns Stewart). Mr. Stewart said upon your advice he had come to consult with me upon a project he had in view, especially as to its morality. I gave him my opinion as far as I understood it and thought from what he said he had not determined to undertake it, but that it would depend upon an interview he would have with you. I know so little of Mr. Stewart that is his capacity for such an undertaking, that when Mr. Stringfellow first cams to me I told him, as I had written to General Fitz Lee, that I could give him no advice or recommendation as to his course, he must make up his own opinion as to what he should do. Col. E. G. Lee has just called on me on the same subject, having been referred to me by Mr. Stewart. As Mr. Stewart told me, what I very well knew, that his project must be kept a profound secret, I could neither explain it to Mr. Stringfellow of Col. Lee. even as far as he had unfolded it to me. In fact I have not a high opinion of Mr. Stewarts discretion, and could not advise any one to join him in his enterprize. I had inferred that his companions were to be taken from Canada, until I got a note from Gen. Fitz Lee, asking if he must send some half dozen of his men to see Mr. Stewart, To take a party of men from here seems to me to ensure failure and I could not recommend it. I suppose he would make up his mind as to what he would do and arrange his party in his own way. I have had nothing to do with it. I return Mr. Stewarts letter with great respect. Your obedient Servant . R. E. Lee.

That's about all I can manage for one evening, I will add more tomorrow and add some ideas of my own. Stand By! JFS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Some Strange activities associated with Elmira. - SSlater - 08-21-2017 01:11 AM