Daredevils Of the Confederate Army
07-25-2017, 04:59 PM
RE: Daredevils Of the Confederate Army
(07-25-2017 07:25 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Roger, the author never mentions the title of the book, but this is what he does say -

"The Reverend Cameron, who later wrote a book on "The Confederate Secret Service", relates that on his return from Richmond, while crossing the Potomac River, his skiff overturned by a shot from a Union battery on the western shore, but he finally succeeded in reaching the eastern bank and arrived safely among friends in his native state of Maryland." (page 113)

There were no footnotes, so I don't know if he 'relates' his story to the Canadian newspapers at the time, trial testimony records, or his book we can't locate. That is all he mentions about Cameron's book.

I'm not the greatest internet searcher, but I did try Internet Archive, Library of Congress, Google, and Amazon Books. No luck.

Kinchen's book is available on Internet Archives, but you have to log in and can borrow it for 14 days. I have never tried to do that, and am not familiar with that process.
https://archive.org/details/daredevilsof...+a+kinchen
Gene C. Hi! I looked for a book by Cameron, and never found one, However, it is believed he gathered material in order to write - and that material is called "Cameron's Manuscript". The material is (or was) held by the "Confederate Museum" in Richmond. The material was done in long-hand, so it is difficult to read. The material is not in any order, so you can't go directly to a special subject. (It's a box of unrelated letters.)- (Unless someone has done something with the Manuscript in the last few years.) I do remember reading the letter that E. G. Lee carried to Montreal, when he reported for duty, that was written by Judah Benjamin. He wrote, directing exactly what Thompson was to do with the Confederate Treasury - which was to put the money in British Banks - in Benjamin's Personal account. . I can not help you more, because all that stuff is in storage, and I do not have ready access. (In an emergency, I can try - but it would take time). Maybe I should get back to work on that. SSlater
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Daredevils Of the Confederate Army - SSlater - 07-25-2017 04:59 PM