Sarah's visit to Kentucky.
06-06-2017, 12:15 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky.
(06-05-2017 07:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 04:26 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Laurie. I question ANY association between Mrs. Higbee and the jailed Raiders. Her husband WAS NOT IN JAIL WITH THE REST. He was off somewhere with the St Jean Baptiste Society. To protect him from association with the Raiders, she would have nothing to do with the ones in Jail. He and Young had a very Secret Agreement, that I think concerned lots of money. (We know he arrived back in Kentucky with enough money to open a Bank.)
If you are relying on "The Saga of Sarah Slater" where Hall said "When she left Salisbury is uncertain. # but in the middle off Jan. 1865 she...." Where I put the "#", is a three month gap. Which we now know - she was in Canada.

How do you know that she remained in Canada that entire time? If the Canadians had sent her down to Richmond to get the commission papers for the Raiders, why did they also send the spurious Rev. Cameron after she had already left?

Would you consider any possibility that she was at St. Lawrence Hall in December, but then returned to Richmond - from which she was sent in January bearing the papers needed in Canada? Is there any possibility in your mind that there were documents that needed to be sent from Canada to Richmond in the interim before the trial of the Raiders (and papers not necessarily even related to the raid)?

Frankly, John, I was confused enough to begin with without your "outside the box" theory being thrown in...
Laurie. I will be honest with you- I don't know if Sarah ever lived. I only know what some one wrote 150 years ago. From all that I read I try to recreate the story of her life. Sometimes I read something new on one day and the same event is told differently in the next story. So, I have to correct my ideas. This St. Albans thing is a mess. Now we are beginning to question the whether or not Sarah was even there at all. Bennett Young's Secret Deal with the Unidentified woman and a fist full of cash, is significant - but HOW? It suggests that this Hero of the South was not so Heroic as we have been lead to believe. Mix in the other story - about Higbee's action with the Morgan Raid -suggests that Higbee made a deal with Young to get some money home safely. Also, it more than suggests that Higbee never had any intention of giving up whatever he stole. What we read is not Sacred, like the Bible. So, if we suspect some "doctoring" of the events, we have a responsibility to question whatever we were told. Our debate about 'when' Sarah "went to Canada is an example." I read the "facts" one way, and you saw them differently - we need to resolve this , because it is important, if we ever hope to figure out How things went down. Now, having said that -DON'T CHANGE! Question anybody and everything, as you see fit. Until you are comfortable with the answer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 05-26-2017, 12:13 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - RJNorton - 05-26-2017, 05:18 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 05-26-2017, 01:51 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - Gene C - 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - L Verge - 05-26-2017, 08:35 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - Wild Bill - 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - L Verge - 06-05-2017, 07:41 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 06-06-2017 12:15 AM