Sarah's visit to Kentucky.
05-26-2017, 08:35 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky.
(05-26-2017 03:48 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(05-26-2017 01:51 PM)SSlater Wrote:  It It is said that she provided a little T.L.C. to the prisoners in the form of Restaurant prepared food, mailing letters, delivering letters, etc. in addition to traveling from Montreal, to Richmond, at her own cost, to secure the documentation that showed that they were "preforming a Military Assignment, rather than a self-serving rampage."
(I do not support that explanation, since in most cases, the Raiders kept the money, stolen from the Banks, for their personal use. Raider Higbee moved to Texas and established a Bank. He was President of said bank -and lived happily thereafter - but not in Kentucky.

This is all interesting, and every time you come up with something new, I come up with new questions.
I wonder how she was able to afford all that travel at her own expense? I think we are missing something here.
What is her motive for doing this? It's got to be more than just patriotism.
What's the connection with these specific men?
What's the connection to Surratt?
Did Sarah all of a sudden decide she wants to be a secret courier and show up for duty?
What was she doing in Montreal before she goes to Richmond (visiting friends or family?)
I think I remember someone stating this was her first courier job?
What a mystery!

And let me throw in a song about Kentucky women.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtqXc1vY93U

I am getting just as confused as you. Personally, I think we are mixing information about two separate women and trying to fuse it into just one.

The more I look at what has been posted, the more convinced I am that the young Confederate widow from Kentucky is Mrs. Higbee. She had time to do all those good deeds for the poor prisoners since she evidently had an extended stay while nursing her husband. I do not see any connection between her and the Richmond high command.

On the other hand, Sarah was recruited by Seddon - I think while attempting to get a pass to go North to family. What better candidate for a bribe (assuming she wasn't dying for a courier job). Her first mission was an important one, sending her directly from Richmond to Montreal with one specific purpose -- get those commission papers to the authorities to save the lives of the Raiders. I doubt that she was given any opportunity to stay around and converse with other prisoners or even the Raiders. Get in and get out -- and if you like the courier job, we have other assignments for you. John Surratt will help you get back and forth. I don't think that Sarah had been in Montreal previous to her Raider mission.

I just purchased (at a very good price) a pristine copy of Headley's reproduced book. The prices offered from various sources tell me that this has never been a best-seller... I hope to find time to read the lines and between the lines for any further clues. Has anyone else read this book besides John?

P.S. - Roger, I agree with you that "honorarium" is a poor choice of words. Pats on the back are "non-monetary awards" in my dictionary.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 05-26-2017, 12:13 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - RJNorton - 05-26-2017, 05:18 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 05-26-2017, 01:51 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - Gene C - 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - L Verge - 05-26-2017 08:35 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - Wild Bill - 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - L Verge - 06-05-2017, 07:41 PM
RE: Sarah's visit to Kentucky. - SSlater - 06-06-2017, 12:15 AM