Tarbell on Sandburg: "He has stirred Lincoln up..."
09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Tarbell on Sandburg: "He has stirred Lincoln up..."
In going through Ida Tarbell's papers, I've found a few references to Sandburg, but tonight I came across this which I think encapsulates just what Sandburg meant to a lot of people.

In a letter written on January 25, 1940, Tarbell told A.J. Putnam (who I assume is part of the Putnam publishing empire) the following:

I am beginning to feel that instead of Sandburg putting an end to Lincoln for all time he has stirred Lincoln up more than anything that has happened for some time. It is a grand compilation and does something which the sticklers for exactness never could do in the world. It gives one a tremendous sense of the tumult of the times with that tall figure walking through it with his eyes on the stars, and his feet very firmly on the ground. They tell me out in Springfield that Sandburg has made a lot of mistakes. I suppose that is so, but he has done something so much greater. Only I am afraid that in some cases there may be mistakes that invalidate some big thing that he has done. I hope not.

Have I said lately how much fun I'm having. Smile

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Tarbell on Sandburg: "He has stirred Lincoln up..." - Rob Wick - 09-12-2012 09:25 PM