Kudos to Joe Di Cola - he has written another book!
04-14-2017, 11:49 PM
RE: Kudos to Joe Di Cola - he has written another book!
Just received this book and after reading I must say if you are interested in the time period when Lincoln was at New Salem, this is a must have book.

For the first time visitor, or if you are enjoying a repeat visit, this is the perfect guide to the history of New Salem and Lincoln's time here. It doesn't take long to realize there is more here than just a museum and a few reconstructed log buildings.

The book is a very well organized, concise history of New Salem, from its founding in 1829 to present day. Several good photographs. There is enough information to keep most Lincoln fans satisfied. Joe has included excellent source notes and bibliography for anyone to do additional reading or further study should they wish to.

You will learn not only about the little town that existed only for about 10 years, but the people who lived there, and their involvement in Lincoln's life. The events of Lincoln's life while living in New Salem (1831-1837) are clearly broken down year by year, placed in their proper historical context. Life wasn't easy for Lincoln during this time, and you can read about those challenges he faced, the friends he made who assisted him in meeting those challenges, and have a better understanding of the impact those years had in shaping his character.

You can read how a deserted town is reborn and partially reconstructed into a living tribute to Abraham Lincoln and to the many early settlers of small towns similar to this one that quickly sprang up across the country, and just as quickly faded away.

There is a lot more (like the Ann Rutledge relationship) , but you will appreciate this book more if you read it rather than me tell you about it. I can highly recommend it.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread