Dead Presidents
02-05-2017, 01:39 PM
RE: Dead Presidents
(02-05-2017 12:57 PM)Kieran McAuliffe Wrote:  Hi Laurie
During my last visit to Congressional Cemetery two years ago I had to skirt a large yoga class at the visitor building near the entrance. Lots of history on those monuments, though.
Kieran
Hi back, Kieran!

Pardon the pun, but I applaud Congressional for bringing the cemetery "back to life" again. There is nothing grander than the old Victorian park cemeteries with their tasteful landscaping and those magnificent tombstones that are architectural delights in their own right. I believe I'm correct that Congressional even has a totem pole.

The easy-to-mow modern cemeteries with their miniscule, flat, bronze markers just don't cut it for me. I am egotistical enough to want something big announcing to the world that I once trod upon this earth. As I have mentioned before, I take care of a family cemetery that dates to 1858. The last burial there was just last fall, and I intend to buried there in about forty more years when I decide to join my ancestors.

I told my daughter that I'm not wild about the idea of being put in the ground; I would much prefer a mausoleum. She told me I better get started building it now because she wasn't going to spend her inheritance on fulfilling my wish. So much for the younger generation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Dead Presidents - L Verge - 02-04-2017, 05:38 PM
RE: Dead Presidents - Jim Garrett - 02-04-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: Dead Presidents - Kieran McAuliffe - 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
RE: Dead Presidents - L Verge - 02-05-2017 01:39 PM