Thoughts from Mary's sister Elizabeth
02-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Thoughts from Mary's sister Elizabeth
Hiw different the two sisters seemed to be. Elizabeth Todd Edwards wrote several letters to her daughter Julia Baker. Here is an excerpt as taken from an article by Erika Holst entitled 'The Elizabeth Edwards Papers at the Library of Congress:'
"How gratified your Aunt Mary must feel , at the nomination. I do hope that her ambition, may be fully gratified in November next." Writing of the then upcoming inauguration, Elizabeth wrote, "I am averse to fashionable crowds, and although your Aunt Mary has cordially invited me, yet she can well dispense with my company." She went on to described some of what it was like for her being the sister of the future first lady, "Of course, it is known here, that I am a sister of the wife of their worshipped President-elect, and of course it is an exceeding trouble to me, for I am now obliged to dress more, and to make more effort to play the agreeable. When questioned, as to the resemblane between us, I represent myself as about 10 years older of course, and always doing her ample justice." Elizabeth was actually 5 years older than Mary.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts from Mary's sister Elizabeth - LincolnMan - 02-04-2017 12:14 PM