Emily Dickson Poem on Lincoln?
09-15-2016, 10:21 AM
RE: Emily Dickson Poem on Lincoln?
In reading this, do you think "Her" in the last line refers to the United States?
Or, could it be the person who died, which would make this poem about a woman?

Regarding Emily Dickson, this interesting comment in Wikipedia

Around this time, Dickinson's behavior began to change. She did not leave the Homestead unless it was absolutely necessary and as early as 1867, she began to talk to visitors from the other side of a door rather than speaking to them face to face.[85] She acquired local notoriety; she was rarely seen, and when she was, she was usually clothed in white. Dickinson's one surviving article of clothing is a white cotton dress, possibly sewn circa 1878–1882.[86] Few of the locals who exchanged messages with Dickinson during her last fifteen years ever saw her in person.[87] Austin and his family began to protect Emily's privacy, deciding that she was not to be a subject of discussion with outsiders.[88] Despite her physical seclusion, however, Dickinson was socially active and expressive through what makes up two-thirds of her surviving notes and letters. When visitors came to either the Homestead or the Evergreens, she would often leave or send over small gifts of poems or flowers.[89] Dickinson also had a good rapport with the children in her life. Mattie Dickinson, the second child of Austin and Sue, later said that "Aunt Emily stood for indulgence."[90] MacGregor (Mac) Jenkins, the son of family friends who later wrote a short article in 1891 called "A Child's Recollection of Emily Dickinson", thought of her as always offering support to the neighborhood children.[90]

When Higginson urged her to come to Boston in 1868 so that they could formally meet for the first time, she declined, writing: "Could it please your convenience to come so far as Amherst I should be very glad, but I do not cross my Father's ground to any House or town".[91] It was not until he came to Amherst in 1870 that they met. Later he referred to her, in the most detailed and vivid physical account of her on record, as "a little plain woman with two smooth bands of reddish hair ... in a very plain & exquisitely clean white pique & a blue net worsted shawl."[92] He also felt that he never was "with any one who drained my nerve power so much. Without touching her, she drew from me. I am glad not to live near her."[93]

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Emily Dickson Poem on Lincoln? - ELCore - 09-14-2016, 04:53 PM
RE: Emily Dickson Poem on Lincoln? - Gene C - 09-15-2016 10:21 AM