Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
09-21-2016, 10:54 PM
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life?
(09-21-2016 07:26 PM)ELCore Wrote:  
(09-21-2016 05:18 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  The sum of all of this is that the reader feels there was a very close relationship between Abraham Lincoln and William Coggeshall.

I think we are safe to conclude that, if most of these outlandish claims are false, then they are all false.

And... as I wrote that, the legal principle false in one, false in all came into my mind:

Quote:If you believe that any witness or party willfully or knowingly testified falsely to any material facts in the case, with intent to deceive you, you may give such weight to his or her testimony as you may deem it is entitled. You may believe some of it, or you may, in your discretion, disregard all of it.

I feel sure that, in his long legal career, Lincoln must have availed himself of this principle from time to time.

The one component of this report that bothers me - was the hiss. Grenades don't Hiss. A Hiss is generally generated by a slow burning powder - that is making many tiny explosions. If I accept this item to be a grenade, I have to assume it has failed. Supporting this assumption, - no one reported it exploding.

Since no one talked about it or reported the event, then maybe it never happened. BUT Coggeshall was a HERO to his grand-daughter and she let everyone know it, years later.

PS. I vote that this exchange of information be named AS "ONE OF THE BEST POSTS EVER". Except for this last item, I thank all of the members who contributed to this, for us to read. It is a gem!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did William Coggeshall Save Lincoln's Life? - SSlater - 09-21-2016 10:54 PM