Old school CPR
07-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Old school CPR
I just finished reading "Our Assassinated Presidents-the true medical stories" by Stewart Brooks. While discussing the events of the Lincoln assassination he tells of Dr. Leale's initial examination the the box. He notes that he initiated artificial respiration by straddling the president and forcefully inserted two fingers into Lincoln's mouth to hold down his tongue while 2 assistants manipulated Lincoln's arms up and down. Simultaneously Leale pressed the diaphragm upward. That is some crazy CPR......Does anyone know backstory on this method, when did they figure out about chest compressions and did the antiquated style ever actually save anyone's life?

Also interesting to note that in between rounds (not sure how long or how many) Leale was realeasing the clot in Lincoln's head and performing rescue breathing. I can't imagine the pandemonium in the box with Mary screaming, Rathbone bleeding profusely, Lincoln grasping at life and Leale trying to do all of his medical work. I can't imagine there was enough room for all that crazy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Old school CPR - Maykeith - 07-14-2016 05:22 PM
RE: Old school CPR - RobertLC - 07-14-2016, 07:23 PM
RE: Old school CPR - Leon Greene - 07-15-2016, 01:12 AM
RE: Old school CPR - RJNorton - 07-15-2016, 05:02 AM