What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln?
09-29-2012, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2012 10:06 AM by emma1231.)
RE: What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln?
(09-04-2012 12:51 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-04-2012 11:52 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  However, he had what he believed to be the earliest portrait made of his father--a daguerreotype never published. I could have that.
I held my breath. If it was true! I held my breath still longer when the picture was finally in my hands for I realized that this was a Lincoln which shattered the widely accepted tradition of his early shabbiness, rudeness, ungainliness. It was another Lincoln, and one that took me by storm.

I know Robert gave a c.1847-1849 for this daguerreotype because he thought it was taken during the time of his father's term in the House of Representatives. He thought it was taken in Washington or possibly even in St. Louis. I just checked Tarbell's book, and she says "about 1848." However, the consensus among most historians is that it was taken in c.1846 by a daguerreian named Nicholas H. Shepherd in Springfield. No matter what, it is my humble opinion that this is indeed the earliest Lincoln photo, although other folks have made different claims about this.

A very nice man -- a stock broker by profession --by the name of Albert Kaplan found a dag around 1977 that looked to him like Lincoln, circa 1845 ( ? ). He was convinced it was Abe, and that God had brought him to the dag. He spent untold hours and money amassing historical background and the opinions of photo history experts to bolster his firm belief. He was never able to get the Lincoln community (us) to accept the contention that his dag is the earliest known picture of Abe. He now lives in Vegas, and he is still trying to convince the world, after thirty-five years, that it's the 16th President. Nobody can convince him otherwise. We are friendly, and speak to ea. other once every two or three years, and he knows I don't think it's Lincoln. What amazed me about a year or two ago was that his agent sent it to the people who were going to reprint Sandburg's Lincoln in a new large format with both b & w and color pictures. I think it may have been Barnes & Noble. They actually contracted for the use of the Kaplan dag in the book and included it, with a caption stating that it is the earliest known picture of Lincoln!

Sorry I didnt give my name. The message about the Kaplan dag comes from me, Richard Sloan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln? - emma1231 - 09-29-2012 09:54 AM