What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln?
09-04-2012, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 11:54 AM by Rob Wick.)
RE: What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln?
Roger,

She met with RTL in the home of a friend in Chicago named Emily Lyons. From her autobiography All In the Day's Work:

When she [Lyons] learned that I was interested in new material on Lincoln she said at once: "Come to Chicago. I'll see that you meet Robert Lincoln, and I'll see that he gives you something." Too good to be true. But Mrs. Lyons kept her promise when I reached Chicago on my first expedition, producing Mr. Lincoln at once.
"Now Robert," she ordered as she filled our cups, "I want you to give her something worth while."
To be drinking tea with the son of Abraham Lincoln was so unbelievable to me that I could scarcely take note of his reply. I searched his face and manners for resemblances. There was nothing. He was all Todd, a big plump man perhaps fifty years old, perfectly groomed, with that freshness which makes men of his type look as if they were just out of the barber's chair, the admirable social poise of the man who has seen the world's greatest and has come to be sure of himself; and this in spite of such buffeting as few men had had--the assassination of his father when he was twenty-four, the humiliation of Mary Lincoln's half-crazed public exhibition of herself and her needs, the death of his brother Tad, the heartbraking necessity of having his mother committed for medical care, and more recently the loss of his only son.

Later she writes

I devoured him with my eyes. He was very friendly. To Mrs. Lyons' order to do his best for me he laughingly replied, "Of course if you say so, Emily." But he went on to say he was afraid he had little that would help me. Herndon had taken all his father's papers from the law office. I think he used the word "stolen," but I am not sure; at least I knew he felt they were stolen. He had protested, but was never able to get anything back. As for the Presidential period, all the correspondence was packed away in Washington, but it had been fully used by Nicolay and Hay. However, he had what he believed to be the earliest portrait made of his father--a daguerreotype never published. I could have that.
I held my breath. If it was true! I held my breath still longer when the picture was finally in my hands for I realized that this was a Lincoln which shattered the widely accepted tradition of his early shabbiness, rudeness, ungainliness. It was another Lincoln, and one that took me by storm.

Here is the subject file in Tarbell's papers on RTL, which include letters to him from Tarbell and from him to Tarbell.

It will definitely merit a major portion of an early chapter, Roger. Thanks!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln? - Rob Wick - 09-04-2012 11:52 AM