Assasination relics: Clothing, chairs, death-scene stuff, and other macabre items
07-13-2018, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2018 02:32 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Assasination relics: Clothing, chairs, death-scene stuff, and other macabre items
Just a little info on Peter Taltavull (note family's spelling) for those not too familiar with him:

Hi Laurie, My husband and I have inherited the family genealogy and we are in the process of going through it all. For now I will share what it says on the back of the photo I uploaded to my profile. "Pedro Taltavull (Peter) was born ca. 1826 in Port Mahon, Isle of Minorca, Balearic Island, East Coast of Spain (although another source says he was born in 1825 in Barcelona). Peter came to America on board the US Frigate "Brandywine" with 11 others. He enlisted in USMC, 11 Aug 1842 at Washington, DC, and was assigned to the Marine Band. He married Elizabeth Evans of VA in 1845 and had 9 children. He served in the USMC 23 yrs (except for 1961-64) when he co-owned The Star Saloon and Restaurant. He re-enlisted 10 Mar 1865, 24 days prior to President Lincoln's assassination. He retired from the USMC 10 Mar 1869. Census lists his various occupations as: owned variety store, restaurant in home, cabinet-maker, paper-hanger, upholsterer, furniture repair. We understand that he lost his business (Star Saloon) after the assassination of the President. He started making cabinets and caskets. *His descendents had funeral establishments (Taltavull Funeral Home) in Washington, DC for 100 years (1883-1983).*

*Correction: We believe that Peter started the funeral home in the late 1870's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assasination relics: Clothing, chairs, death-scene stuff, and other macabre items - L Verge - 07-13-2018 02:31 PM