A Tarbell title
09-01-2012, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:52 AM by Rob Wick.)
A Tarbell title
Coming up with a title for a book is almost as important as writing the book itself. It is a title that initially "sells" the book to a publisher. For me, the best way to find a title is to find something that seems to encapsulate the work of the author taken from either his/her own words or the words of another. I think I've hit on something.

I've decided to tentatively give my book the title Star Seeker After Truth: Ida M. Tarbell's Study of Abraham Lincoln.

It comes from a letter to Tarbell by a woman named Jane Hamand, who donated her collection of Ann Rutledge-related material to the Decatur (Ill.) Public Library. On December 21, 1922, Hamand wrote to Tarbell:

Ah my dear Miss Tarbell, you are the star Seeker after Truth; this fact is borne in upon the mind of the reader in every line and between the lines and for this I love and honor you.

Not too bad, if I say so myself.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A Tarbell title - Rob Wick - 09-01-2012 09:52 AM
RE: A Tarbell title - Joe Di Cola - 09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
RE: A Tarbell title - LincolnMan - 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM
RE: A Tarbell title - Gene C - 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
RE: A Tarbell title - Rob Wick - 09-01-2012, 11:23 PM