Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
07-28-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
(07-27-2016 11:54 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Since I am trying to figure out just What was Harney trying to do to the White House, I needed to know a little about its construction and when the work was done. Also, in another Post (some time ago) we wondered "when did the White House get indoor plumbing?" So, then Laurie publishes a terrific story in this month's "Courier", in which she has a line that says - on the east end of the White House was a row of "outhouses".
This pushed me to hunt deeper - now we know that the White House got "dressing rooms with toilets attached - here-to-fore- entirely lacking". in 1902.
FYI. Because all pipes are buried in he walls and would be difficult, if not impossible, to repair, they are made of Brass. (Brass is rust proof and more resistant to damage) but expensive. (A silly post, but informative.)

Be careful with terminology because "outhouses" often referred to "outbuildings," meaning additional structures not attached to the main house.

Sure wish I could find William Seale's communication of about 30 years ago describing the large sewer drains that were there during the Civil War and large enough for a man to walk in. It may be in the Hall/Tidwell files, but life is too hectic right now for me to do research.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - L Verge - 07-28-2016 05:12 PM