What would Lincoln say about the present day elections for President for 2016?
02-19-2016, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 11:05 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: What would Lincoln say about the present day elections for President for 2016?
I really hate to burst a bubble here, but very few if any of our elections have been cotillions or genteel. Maybe when George Washington became president, but after that, not so much.

Look at the election of 1800 (scroll down to about the middle of the page). This was just 11 years after the adoption of the Constitution and people were sincerely afraid that the country would be split apart.

A more recent election was the battle in 1884 between Grover Cleveland and James G. Blaine. "Ma Ma, Where's My Pa? Gone to the White House, Ha Ha Ha."

Politics at just about any level involves power, and power, in addition to being the ultimate aphrodisiac, also can make the most rational person into something his or her own mother wouldn't recognize. I don't believe our society is any coarser then it ever was. The only difference now is we have hundreds of professional and non-professional media outlets that need a constant feed of copy, and candidates play to that.

A basic source for American presidential elections is the History of American Presidential Elections 1789-2008. While most people wouldn't buy the set, it is readily available at most larger libraries.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: - RJNorton - 02-19-2016, 05:52 AM
RE: - Gencor - 02-19-2016, 06:05 PM
RE: What would Lincoln say about the present day elections for President for 2016? - Rob Wick - 02-19-2016 11:03 PM