What would Lincoln say about the present day elections for President for 2016?
02-19-2016, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 06:38 PM by Gencor.)
RE:
(02-19-2016 05:52 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  [Image: aristo2.GIF]

β€œTo win the people, always cook them some savoury that pleases them.”
― Aristophanes, The Knights

Unbelievable! Roger, down south when we have local elections, such as going on now and even with Super Tuesday approaching and the presidential candidates coming through Louisiana, on the stump, you can't believe the fish fries, the hot dogs and beer parties and Bar B Que's all sponsored by the candidates and their operatives. One of the most fun things about campaigning down in Louisiana is the food, the casual speeches and meet and greets and the amazing homemade jambalaya and gumbo parties. Its a great way to meet the candidates and find out what they are all about.

I am from a "RED" state that just elected a "Blue" governor. As strange as it gets, our last governor, Bobby Jindal, was a bust, running for the Presidency, as we all knew he would be and the mess our new governor has been left to clean up, is going to be a huge challenge, both for the new Governor and for us all. Consider yourselves lucky that Jindal didn't get far, because he left Louisiana in a terrible financial mess, trying to run after the National Republican support and nomination.

I have been through many, many election seasons but nothing like this one. Do any of you know of past Presidential elections when everything seemed so topsy turvey????? It is mind blowing how a guy like Trump would or could ever be so popular, because he insults everyone, even the Pope! I am amazed at this. I don't ever remember so much irreverence for the office, from the press and the candidates alike. I think that they have all taken the phrase "politically correct" into territory that I don't even understand. I have been mortified by some of the horrible things that I hear from both the press and the candidates, especially Trump! I am so astonished at the lack of sheer respect that the press has exhibited and how supporters seem to be fine with the profanity and lack of just plain good manners. It seems that all of this is taking on the look of a race for ratings, like running for President in 2016 has become a reality show, complete with the press trying to scoop and sometimes I believe, even shape how they want the nomination outcome to be. Its dirty, dirty politics with the press driving the public to where they want them to go, for better ratings. Its mind blowing.

What has happened to good manners in politics? Has it just completely disappeared? The way we run for public office, for the highest position in this country, is to just insult and demean everyone? I know that some people really hate being politically correct, although, I don't understand that, but to just bully and tear up people and destroy reputations and obstruct everything, to me, is about more than just being against political correctness. This, to me, is not only shocking but horribly abusive. Is this how you get to be President of the United States now? I just wonder what would President Lincoln and other President's that preceded him think about how we select our Presidents in this 21st century?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: - RJNorton - 02-19-2016, 05:52 AM
RE: - Gencor - 02-19-2016 06:05 PM