T.V. Movie - "Sandburg's Lincoln"
04-17-2021, 02:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2021 02:14 AM by Mylye2222.)
RE: T.V. Movie - "Sandburg's Lincoln"
(11-27-2015 11:36 PM)Sally Wrote:  I found this on YouTube. It's a series of T.V. movies based on Sandburg's work. They were broadcast in the run-up to the bicentennial in 1976 and starred Hal Holbrook and Sada Thompson as Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln. Although I was around at the time, I have absolutely no memory of these being aired. My only excuse is that I was in high school at the time and, no doubt, had other, more "fascinating" things to concentrate on.

The videos posted on YouTube in are in random order. But, apparently, the various parts of the series were not run in chronological order either--kind of strange.

This series may already have been discussed on the forum, so forgive me if I'm late to the table on this. But does anyone have an opinion on the production? I found much of the "history" presented pretty dubious. But for those (like me) who have sympathetic feelings toward Mary, the portrayal of the marriage is nicely done. And those (also like me) who are not fans of the beauteous Kate Chase and her dear old dad may enjoy the way they are portrayed!

I have watched this. It's nicely done. It depicts Lincoln as we love him, a kind and considerate man through testing times. Kate Chase and her dad are very accurately depicted. One regret, they don't include John Hay.
Loved also the scenes showing the WH full of petitioners and Lincoln, having finished breakfast, crossing the halls and saying hello to everyone, behaving like your neighbor.

(12-05-2015 01:53 PM)Angela Wrote:  
(11-27-2015 11:36 PM)Sally Wrote:  I found this on YouTube. It's a series of T.V. movies based on Sandburg's work. They were broadcast in the run-up to the bicentennial in 1976 and starred Hal Holbrook and Sada Thompson as Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln. Although I was around at the time, I have absolutely no memory of these being aired. My only excuse is that I was in high school at the time and, no doubt, had other, more "fascinating" things to concentrate on.

The videos posted on YouTube in are in random order. But, apparently, the various parts of the series were not run in chronological order either--kind of strange.

This series may already have been discussed on the forum, so forgive me if I'm late to the table on this. But does anyone have an opinion on the production? I found much of the "history" presented pretty dubious. But for those (like me) who have sympathetic feelings toward Mary, the portrayal of the marriage is nicely done. And those (also like me) who are not fans of the beauteous Kate Chase and her dear old dad may enjoy the way they are portrayed!

I, too, found it strange the way the videos on yt were arranged and hearing that that weren't broadcast in the right order either IS a quite a surprise.

At first watch I thought that it was quite a daring move to hop around in time like that...it took me a few parts until I realized that this was not intentional...

While my feelings toward Lincoln's wife aren't quite as sympathetic, I thought the series was great. I never expected Hal Holbrook to come across just right as Lincoln. Can't believe what I missed out on all this time!

By many accounts, Hal Holbrook was one of the best Lincolns on screen that ever performed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
T.V. Movie - "Sandburg's Lincoln" - Sally - 11-27-2015, 11:36 PM
RE: T.V. Movie - "Sandburg's Lincoln" - Hess1865 - 01-07-2016, 10:59 AM
RE: T.V. Movie - "Sandburg's Lincoln" - Mylye2222 - 04-17-2021 02:12 AM