Surratt at Elmira
11-29-2015, 11:20 PM
RE: Surratt at Elmira
(11-29-2015 09:01 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  I checked the diary and Alexandra Levin's biography of Edwin G. Lee. Lee makes several mentions of a Miss Young, a New Yorker who was staying with John and Sarah Lovell. On August 18, he notes the arrival of "Mr. Armstrong" (Surratt), and mentions a visit to the theater to see Kean in the role of Richard III; apparently the party included Miss Young and Surratt, although the entry's worded rather vaguely. On August 21, Lee writes, "Mr. Armstrong very devoted; made an opportunity for him in the library." Later he adds, "Had very confidential conversation with 'the Young' after returning from theater at 11 p.m." Miss Young had left Montreal by August 30, when Lee, who described her in a letter to his mother quoted by Levin as "remarkably pretty, sings, is said to be rich, tries to be a belle," wrote in the same letter, "She behaved so well and seemed so determined to make a friend of me, that when she left Montreal and asked me, when saying goodbye, if we didn't part friends, I told her 'yes' most heartily." He added, "But the other Yankees I have met haven't found much favor at my hands."

There's no indication that the "confidential conversation" involved Surratt, although it very well could have.
Thank you for your research. I was thinking about their (Surratt/Slater) earlier relationship and the full month they stayed together. (constant and exclusive) Then Sarah's arrival in New York . I also wonder if E. G. new of Sarah's earlier exploits. Sarah was 22.
I keep all this in mind, and keep looking.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Surratt at Elmira - SSlater - 11-27-2015, 01:05 PM
RE: Surratt at Elmira - RJNorton - 11-27-2015, 03:47 PM
RE: Surratt at Elmira - HerbS - 11-27-2015, 07:30 PM
RE: Surratt at Elmira - Susan Higginbotham - 11-27-2015, 10:16 PM
RE: Surratt at Elmira - Susan Higginbotham - 11-29-2015, 09:01 PM
RE: Surratt at Elmira - SSlater - 11-29-2015 11:20 PM