Mosby's men in Southern MD., part 2
08-27-2012, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012 05:12 AM by John Stanton.)
Mosby's men in Southern MD., part 2
There was another battle across the Potomac on 17 March where Mosby was involved. It was in Mattox Creek. Mosby had sent some of his men to the Northern Neck for the winter. He called for their return in the spring, and they gathered at Sgt. Brogden's Camp on Mattox Creek. (Brogden, himself, was not there, having had a transfer to Richmond in January). The Rangers were restless and began to shoot at the Union Gunboats. The Navy wasn't going to allow that, so they sent several Gunboats over to Virginia to punish the shooters. Tidwell mentions this Pg 345, but he is off just a little. The Navy was in Small Boats. (They
hadn't landed yet.) My info comes from the Union Log Books. The small boats were needed because the Gunboats had too much draft, and they grounded. It is not my purpose to fight the Battle, I only mention it to show Mosby's men were here - a long way fron "Home". The subject has pushed my Button, and I can't stop (or be brief). Based on this, we can see that Mosby had called ALL of his men back to Fauquier/Loudoun County area. I can't believe he would have left a "few" to conduct a Battle. Also, Mosby was "Antibattle". He never dug in and slugged it out. He was a raider. He went in - bang bang - and was out.

This may have been the "Battle" aluded to, BUT I have another possibility to consider. There was a Confererate Navy Partisan Group operating here (in VA.) whose job it was to go to Maryland and raise Hell. They were paid comsurate with the damage they inflicted. They were led by a So. MD man - Captain Hebb. (See Baker's Hist. of the Secret Service) he captured Hebb and printed his diary in his book. The Navy Group operated long after Mosby vacated this area. I am ready to bet that Mosby was not here, or any of his men, since they were called home, and any Battle was between Union Troops and the Navy Partisans.

I would appreciate a slam-bang discussion on this topic, if the Symposium is interested.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mosby's men in Southern MD., part 2 - John Stanton - 08-27-2012 05:11 AM