A new book about Lincoln's faith
04-08-2013, 05:15 AM
RE: A new book about Lincoln's faith
Most books say something like this:

"She whispered to him, "What will Miss Harris think of my hanging on to you so?" The president replied, "She won't think anything about it."

I believe the source for that is Dr. Anson G. Henry. Dr. Henry was a close friend of the Lincolns, and he attended Mary during the weeks she remained in the White House following the assassination. On April 19, 1865, Dr. Henry wrote his wife a letter which contained the last words of Abraham Lincoln as told to him by Mary. Because of the close proximity of the dates of the assassination and this letter, I think most historians feel Dr. Henry's account is the most reliable when it comes to those last words.

Here is part of the letter Dr. Henry wrote his wife on April 19:

"She set close to him and was leaning on his lap looking up in his face when the fatal shot was fired, his last words being in answer to her question "What will Miss Harris think of my hanging on to you so" — "She won't think anything about it" — and said accompanied with one of his kind and affectionate smiles. Yes, that look & expression is stamped upon her soul too indelibly to ever be effaced by time, and its recollection will never fail to soothe and comfort her in her hours of darkest affliction. God in his mercy will sanctify this personal and National affliction for great good, and this is my greatest and almost only consolation under the terrible bereavement."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A new book about Lincoln's faith - RJNorton - 04-08-2013 05:15 AM