Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-14-2015, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2015 11:37 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
(12-14-2015 02:38 PM)maharba Wrote:  “The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.”
— Abraham Lincoln, from Joseph Lewis

My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- to Judge Wakefield, after Willie's death

"In religion, Mr. Lincoln was about of the same opinion as Bob Ingersoll (atheist), and there is no account of his ever having changed.
-- Judge Nelson

And I don't think Abraham Lincoln would or should have any reason to be ashamed of being an atheist, nor should anyone else be.

Regarding the quote from Joseph Lewis.
Mr. Lewis never met Abraham Lincoln. According to Wikipedia,
"Joseph Lewis (June 11, 1889 – 1968) was an American freethinker and atheist activist, publisher, and litigator. During the mid-twentieth century, he was one of America’s most conspicuous public atheists"

Regarding the quote from a letter to Judge Wakefield.
A copy of the letter has never been found.
("Authenticity questioned by some because it allegedly does not appear in Wakefield's papers" - from Positive Atheism website

Regarding the quote from Judge Nelson
This one is hard to trace. Unable to find the original source of the quote or who Judge Nelson is.
Maharba, (backwards Abraham), can you please provide us more information on the source (who is Judge Nelson) and circumstances (letter, book, date?) of this "quote"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Gene C - 12-14-2015 11:07 PM