Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-11-2015, 06:58 PM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
Maharba, how do you know if and if which quotes are invention and which not? Or do you judge everything that doesn't fit in your thinking invention?

Re.: "And that fits very well with Lincoln scorning it as 'just some of Seward's nonsense'".

To me, it does not fit as the wording simply doesn't sound like Lincoln IMO.

And yet neither opinion can be proven nor disproven nor can the opposite, and it cannot see it ever will.

Speculating to a certain extent is certainly legitimate, but like Gene, I, too, think to fervently insist in attributing something to a person we do not evidently know and that might offend if wrong - like uttering this scoring - is at some point a bit respectless. In dubio pro reo. I am fine with anyone believing Abraham Lincoln an atheist (although I don't agree), as long as the tone is respectful, towards the victim of the speculation (Abraham Lincoln) as well as towards other opinions.

As for "both Darwin and Lincoln are often compared" I, too, must say I haven't seen such comparison ever before, and, like Gene, I don't see any great deal in common than the date of birth.
(12-11-2015 12:02 PM)maharba Wrote:  These quotes here from Lincoln mentioning God. When I see excessively flowery usage as here, it looks to me like it was either written for Lincoln to recite as a matter of expected form, or that the entire quote is yet another invention. How many countless Lincoln narratives are there with Lincoln ending in making some golden reference to 'the majesty of the Lord's handiwork', etc.
Re.: "How many countless Lincoln narratives are there with Lincoln ending in making some golden reference to 'the majesty of the Lord's handiwork', etc." - can you please post an example? And I don't get how that would prove/disprove anything.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Eva Elisabeth - 12-11-2015 06:58 PM