Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-10-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
To not accept that Lincoln believed what he wrote and said, at the time he wrote and said them, is to characterize him as a fraud and liar. Is this your point? >

I'll re-ask my questions,

Didn't Chase write the last paragraph of the Emancipation Proclamation and to fittingly include GOD, over the objections of Lincoln? Didn't William Seward himself compose the entirety of the Thanksgiving Proclamation? Didn't Abraham Lincoln mock God and Christianity to 'sophisticated folks'?

And I'll add to them:
Why was Lincoln even in his final years so resistant to God in his edicts and addresses? DID the original, spoken Gettysburg Address say "under God" or was that added in later, for printed glosses? My guess is that Seward and others told Lincoln to be sure to include that, and he couldn't stomach to saying it out loud.

NO 'politician' is a fraud and a liar. But it put the fly in the ointment when William Herndon set out on his project of documenting the actual Abraham Lincoln, and then he and others starkly laying out Lincoln true beliefs: Atheism. I don't think Lincoln would have been happy to see all the homilies and hoaxes and fabrications extolling his stainless Christian virtues. Instead, I think he would have been proud to rightfully claim his Atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - maharba - 12-10-2015 03:42 PM